Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Socks and Sandals

Remember those nerdy old guys in the neighborhood when you were growing up who wore weird shorts and black dress socks with their sandals? ........ Well it's freaking comfortable man! I can explain. I live in New England now, 'cause there was this hurricane and I was Hitler in my past life, and mornings are really cold here even in June and the floor never warms up no matter how warm it gets outside. So I've got socks on all day. And then I have to go outside occasionally for something like taking out the garbage and stuff. So one day, rather than go through the hassle of socks off and back on again, I just slipped into some sandals and jogged on out to the curb with a bag. It was like "Oh WOW!" This is so comfy man!" And then I got to thinking about the old guys from the old neighborhood. They weren't so much nerds as just didn't give a damned. And "Hey", I thought to myself, "I don't give a damned either! I'm gonna wear socks with sandals man!" And I did until my oldest daughter came up for a visit and the whole family wanted to take a walk to the local park. I was the last one out, shorts, the cool cotton jogging kind, 'cause I'm a rebel who doesn't give a damned and not a nerd man, and white socks, not the dark dress ones, 'cause I'm a rebel who doesn't give a damned and not a nerd man! You'd thought I was stomping on puppies the way my four daughters reacted. They refused to move until I removed the socks. But "cause I'm a rebel who doesn't give a damned man" appeals didn't work. I was physically prevented from leaving until I removed the socks. I still feel I'm a rebel who doesn't give a damned man. But I was outnumbered and crushed by superior forces, kinda like most rebels who don't give a damned go down.

1 comment:

  1. Hey George. You should join The Socks 'N Sandals Club (or at least read the book or wear the t-shirt). Congrats on being a rebel for as long as you could. Maybe next time, you'll last longer.

    ReplyDelete