Friday, May 21, 2010

Wife and I had an Argument

OK, so the wife isn't talking to me at the moment, or for the last three days. Why? Well it may have been my fault, but that's not important. Result, blessed quiet for three days. But I have to admit that it's getting a bit lonely. I mean I married her 'cause I like her, not just because of the way she walks, which is pretty amazing, but that kinda wears after awhile. Not yet apparently, but I'm told it will one day and you're left with the like or not like bit. But I do see some hope of eventually talking again. Just today we exchanged a few words. And I think it'll advance even further, beyond the name calling and grunting she makes as she passes me. Our sleeping arrangements too have shown a slight improvement.

First night, the night of the fight, I lay down next to her in bed for a few minutes, eyes closed and relaxed when suddenly, sensing something just wasn't right, opened my eyes to discover Daya staring at me like I imagine snakes look when stalking a small rodent. I closed my eyes and tried to pretend I didn't see. No sense in provoking the reptile. Again, an innate sense of self preservation shouted, "Open your freakin' eyes you moron. A SNAKE!" I opened my eyes cautiously. The snake was still there, staring emotionless, waiting for me to fall asleep. I slept, out of fear, on the living room sofa that night.

Second night, the snake appeared quite tired and more chipmunkish. Didn't hurt that I spent about three hours making her dinner. At bed time, I carefully lay down beside her. It was a bit cold and I slowly crept closer to her for warmth. She grunted and edged away. I was like, "Fine I was just getting comfortable and didn't want to touch you anyway", to myself, 'cause you don't want to provoke an angry snake. And Daya, being Indian, I'm thinking angry cobra snake. The kind that flare out their heads and stand as tall as a man and spit poisonous venom kind of snake.............. We both edged away from each other to our respective sides of the bed. But it was really cold that night and as the hours passed, I rolled to face her. She was facinging the other way. "So far so good", I thought to myself and moved ever so closer to her until maybe a centimeter away? I dunno, didn't have a measure with me nearly that small, no bragging intended. By morning I'd managed to get as close as possible to a spooning position without actually touching.

Last night I made contact. It was limited but successful. And I think some of the progress was on her part as well. We each took turns casually tossing and turning about until just the faintest contact was made. Maybe an elbow here or a foot there, but contact without grunting and fits was made. By morning we were still facing away from each other but in full cheek to cheek contact.

I dunno, maybe I'm a snake/chipmunk charmer, maybe she just thought, "I've got too much invested in this dumb ass to bail now. I need some returns damned it!"  Whatever the reason, she said I could visit her at the office for coffee this afternoon. Keep ya posted

No comments:

Post a Comment