Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homework and Focus

Late afternoon and I'm at the kitchen table helping my 7 years old daughter, Dhara, with her home work. To her right, her 19 year old sister is on her laptop with headphones on bopping up and down to whatever is playing on it. Dhara is successfully counting by twos. When finished, I praise her as she takes a deep breath and says, "It's almost impossible to do that with odd numbers." "Yeah, I guess it is" I laughed. I attempted a "So let's get onto math problem number two", when she interrupted by telling her older sister, "You smell good, like you had too many baths". Older sister responds with, "you smell good too. Are you wearing perfume?" "No", Dhara replied, "I just washed really extra good last night". This time, I interrupted, "OK lets get this over with. There are two fruit bars, A & B, that cost the same amount of money. But fruit bar A is twice as big as fruit bar B. Which one do you buy?" To my and her sister's astonishment, she picked the smaller bar. I asked her to explain why she would do that when she could have twice as much for the same price. She replied, "I don't like fruit bars. If it was chocolate, I'd definitely pick the bigger bar." As I attempt to continue, mom walks in and complains about the condition of the oldest 22 years old sister, Erica's shoes. "Yeah, I know she really beats up shoes" the 19 year old says. Mom agreed and walked out. I finish reading math question number three as Dhara asks, quite baffled, "Erica beats up shoes?" "Ask your mom to help you with this", was my reply.






No comments:

Post a Comment