Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Isn't Martha Stewart from Connecticut?

I want the best for my kids so I choose to live in safe communities with good schools and clean yards. Unfortunately I'm not the regular Safe-Community, Good-Schools, Clean-Yard type guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm educated and value a good education, keep a well-kept yard and I'm the first guy to call the cops when I see something out of the ordinary. But I tend to be a little on the liberal side of social life and seem to lack the capacity to keep my mouth shut when faced with almost any situation where keeping my mouth shut might benefit - everyone. The neighborhood we lived in, in Louisiana, the town of Mandeville, just outside of New Orleans was very conservative and quite religious. Our first teashop was actually boycotted by narrow minded right wing fanatical creationist idiots, I mean upstanding conservative religious citizens, when we had a Buddhist Rinpoche speak there. But there were enough level headed folks to counter them and we lived comfortably. It was still a nice place to live and good for the kids. And so, after our Hurricane Katrina evacuation, we settled in a similar neighborhood in Connecticut. The neighbors are a mix similar to what we found in Mandeville, mostly a cross between the righteous indignation of mother Teresa and snobby I never wear white before labor day Martha Stewart types. And the women are even worse. Even had a boycott of sorts when we posted our first video commercial that featured two women kissing. Personally, I can't get enough of that vid. But on a whole, I'd have to say the vast majority are OK and even tolerate me. Some have even befriended me and even bring me out from time to time. Of course I have this mouth and usually say something that I consider quite humorous but is received with gaping jaws and confused stares. My friends immediately offer, "He's from New Orleans." Which is received with "Ohhhhh!" from the shocked friends of my friend. Rather than learn from these mouth gaping experiences, I've discovered that they're a really useful tool for gleaning out like-minded individuals, albeit ones that usually have the sense, unlike me, to keep it to themselves. Last week, for instance, at an ice-skating birthday party that my 8 years old attended, I was told by a mom and guardian there that I could just leave the kid and do whatever you want until pick up time at 4:30 pm. I just shrugged my shoulders and offered, "Ahh, it's illegal in this state". The mom, a very conservative polite mom, laughed out loud, really loud and gaudy-like until noticing the line of gaping-mouthed moms. Laughing mom immediately regained her composure and said to them, "He's from New Orleans." They all gave an audible, "Ooohhhhhh!!!!" I hear there's a couple from Las Vegas in town. can't wait to meet.






No comments:

Post a Comment