Monday, March 22, 2010

It's How They Say It in France, Dad

Like most normal pre-teens, my 11 year old daughter, Mina, loves to order a coffee or chocolate milk in a national brand burnt coffee chain logoed cup and hang in the mall like she's all that (term I picked up from her). This has recently turned into, I need a mocco carmel latte decaf with skim milk etc.. etc.. etc.., which she asked me for the last time the two us were at the mall. Apparently cool kids around her could tell it was a kiddy chocolate milk in the cup and onkly the real deal would do. I thought it was some kind of joke. Who the hell sells something with a name as along as a paragraph? I perused the menu, there it was taking up two lines on the menu for $4.95. "No way " I laughed and added, "What moron pays $4.95 for a freakin cup of coffee?", perhaps a bit too loud judging from the raised eyebrows of all the indignant mocca crappy something chuggers in the room. If you have kids of your own, you can guess what happened next. Mina begged, pleaded and attempted reasoning why she should get a mocca yeddadi yeddadi something. Well, clever dad that I am, I decided to put an end to her and my misery and quickly. "Fine you can have one", I offered,"if you can order it in french". To my astonishment, she asked the gal at the counter in perfect french for the mocca something and more of a drink and looked at me along with everyone else in the room with one well earned take-that kind of raised eyebrow. I stood motionless and speechless for a minute then asked, much quieter than my what idiot comment, "Aren't you taking Spanish in school?" "That was last year, dad. Remember, you said we're french from New Orleans and should learn French?" I just shook my head yes. Mina continued, "So whadda ya think?" as she gestured to the more than entertained gal waiting at the counter. I muttered, just below my breath, "We own a tea company for Christ's sake!" and then in a loud clear voice, "WELL,I guess I'm the kind of idiot who pays $4.95 for that mocca crap." much to the delight of the patrons around me. A few even applauded.

1 comment:

  1. I'm switching from starbucks back to diet coke. Cheaper and easier to order. Although I don't know how to order it in French...

    ReplyDelete